Friday, April 17, 2015

another week of sewing...

despite the fact that the weather has truly broken, and spring is here, I was able to sew in the sewing room for 2 evenings this week. sometimes (usually?) it's not always a matter of time (in the evenings) it's just that I'm too tired to go upstairs and sew!
 
we worked outside all day yesterday, and were able to plant onions, kale and the collard greens. the high tunnel is ready for tomatoes on Tuesday, and we also planted 5lb. of sugar snap peas.
 
today we're going adventuring: down to Harrisburg to the MCC relief sale. can't wiat! there are always hundreds of quilts- lots to inspire! and the best part? Quilter's Attic. think yard sale- but only quilting stuff- fabric, books, thread, orphan blocks and projects, magazines, you name it! and (another) best part? fabric is only $2/yd. wowzers....
 

I made- and caught up- with all my D4P. (3" blocks started) I pieced 24 blocks this week, but only 12 are shown. phew- I'm glad this is done for this month.


my sawtooth stars with crumb centers are finished for this years rainbow sampler. I made the aqua blocks a few months ago- I thought I saw a sneak peek on someone's blog that aqua would be the COM for March.
 

13 (6½") crumb blocks (plus the 2 in the center of the sawtooth stars)

 
 
and now the "keeping it real" part of my blog post for this week: ^ see above^ . this is the basket/organizing part of my sewing room. the shorter baskets and shelf are about chest high, the higher baskets on the right are about 5½ feet tall. it would have been lovely if I had cleared off the shelves, and made it look neater and less visually overwhelming. (and less like a bomb went off!) but- I was too tired/lazy.
 
each basket holds a specific kind/style of fabric- red, orange/yellow, green, blue, purple/aqua, neutrals, black/brown/grey. then there is Christmas, vintage, FQs, flannel and (some of my) pre-cuts. there are also drawers for WIPs, orphan blocks, the girls' craft and school stuff, notions and a drawer for Scraps to Wraps (S2W), our church sewing ministry.
 
the second drawer from the left, on the top, is my RSC15 drawer. it's getting a bit stuffed. someone asked about my drawer last week. one of these days i'll do a post with (neat) pictures of my sewing room. I really do have a nice, big and light room to sew in, and I'm really blessed!
 
go here Saturday morning to see more purple pretties!


12 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I really like your blocks and your shelving is amazing. Great job!

Karen said...

Great blocks. I love to make D4P blocks even the little ones.

Katie Z. said...

I love seeing people's storage methods. Thanks for sharing!

Cathy said...

Relief sale sounds like a place I'd like to be!
Planting some of the garden here too.

I never organize...

PaulaB quilts said...

Great storage system, especially the see-through bins. You did get a lot of good stuff done this week, good going.

Nell's Quilts said...

Some great projects in the works. Love the crumb blocks. Wow! what a lot of storage space for all those fabrics. $2.00 a yard. Now there's a deal you just can't pass up.

scraphappy said...

Have fun fabric shopping. Hard to pass up fabric at those prices! Great progress on purples.

Sheila said...

Great blocks! Love 'em.
Wish my sewing area looked that neat.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Love your storage area and your blocks look great! And a big yahoo for warmer weather here too...

LA Paylor said...

oh yes, I love a studio peek! Especially a real studio look. Leeanna at not afraid of color

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good progress on the blocks - horizontal surfaces are such clutter magnets!

quiltedfabricart said...

I really like your organizing system with the see thru wire drawers. I do the standard plastic ones but forget whats in them. I thought the idea of RSC2015 was to use up our scraps but mine just seem to multiply :-/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin